Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Summer Reading Suggestions?

Other than learning new software, rebuilding courses, and a July of conferences…I can now take a breath. Teachers look forward to a little summer break, too. I’m trying to figure out what to read this summer for recreation as opposed to reading to prep for classes.

One of my favorite parts of the semester is when we cover PowerPoint in the Microcomputer Applications course. Instead of a written test, the students create a presentation about their favorite… I like it when I get great ideas for summer reading or movies. They have no idea that part of my motivation for this assignment is so selfish. Through these presentations, I have picked up books by Chuck Palahniuk, James Patterson, Janet Evanovich, and became completely addicted to Lost.

I’m a big fan of Dexter, so I always like to make sure I have the newest book in that series for the summer. I prefer paperbacks, so I’m usually a little behind. This summer’s book should be Dexter by Design, but it looks like the paperback isn't due out until August. I’m looking forward to it regardless. The great thing about these books is that, after the first one (Darkly Dreaming Dexter), the books do not follow the Showtime series. This gives readers like me a paperback season between tv seasons.

I never thought I would fall for the vampire craze, but I love True Blood on HBO. One of my students gave a presentation on the Sookie Stackhouse books, so I think I’ll get the first one and give it a whirl this summer. I also love 24. Whoever came up with the idea for that format – one day, an hour at a time, for a season – was a genius. Another student this semester gave a presentation on Vince Flynn. His books sound a little Jack Bauer-like, so I’m thinking of picking up one of those, too.

They say not to judge a book by its cover, but I picked up my first Stuart Woods book because I liked the cover and was then hooked. It doesn’t always work, but it’s an interesting experiment. Anyone have suggestions? I need to do some recreational reading before jumping head-first into Microsoft Office 2010, Adobe CS5, and Moodle.

No comments:

Post a Comment